Heron Island: Nature's Wonderland - Short Break
- Duration : 4 Days (approx.)
- Product code : PIHZG7
￼￼When you land at Heron, you will be amazed. This is absolutely what the Great Barrier Reef is about. While you go about your day, the permanent residents do too, and all about you is alive. There is no better way to enjoy it than with a self-proclaimed sea-turtle fanatic and all-round nice guy. Our guide Tim used to manage the research station. Whether alone or with kids, the experience you can have, what you learn, the passion you can share with someone so connected, will make all the difference to your trip.
- Private, guiding with Tim Harvey, Sea Turtle Foundation (STF) founder
- Support the work of the Sea Turtle Foundation
- Watch turtles nesting at night (Oct-Mar) or turtle young hatching (Jan-May)
- Snorkel and swim in some of Jacque Cousteau’s favourite haunts 30
Day 1 Arriving in Gladstone you’ll be met by bus and taken to the ferry terminal for your trip to Heron Island. Here you’ll be met by Sea Turtle Foundation Director Tim Harvey. As you pull up at the wharf on Heron, you’ll be immediately struck by how small the island is and the bounty of life in the water around the boat.
Day 2-3 Your private guide Tim Harvey, will show you around the island, sharing his knowledge and enthusiasm for its wildlife (he lived here for several years). You’ll be introduced to the wildlife and people for whom this unique haven for seabirds and turtles is their home. You’ll get the chance to snorkel on a reef that even Jacque Cousteau has described as one of his favourite places in the world. Tim will take you at night to watch turtles nesting and under his guidance, you’ll be able to get up close and watch without risk of disturbance.
Day 4 A final morning on the island is chance to do some more snorkelling, before the midday ferry returns you to Gladstone.
- 3 nights accommodation
- Private expert guiding by Tim Harvey
- Return boat transfers between Gladstone and Heron Island.
- Daily breakfast
- Lunches and dinners
- Environmental Management Charge ($16 per day, per person, payable at resort on departure)
- Drinks and items of a personal nature.
- Anything not listed in 'Inclusions', above.