Conservation Expedition: Banda Sea, a Place of Legends
- Duration: 12 Days (approx.)
- Product code: PHNHTQ
*PRICE is USD 5890. The price in AUD is estimated at an exchange rate of 1$AU = 0.67$US. The final amount will vary.
For just a few months of the year, fuelled by nutrients from the deep, the Banda Sea plays host to one of our ocean’s greatest wildlife events. Blue Whales migrate here from southern Australia and congregate to feed on copepods.
“We sat on the ship and saw perhaps as many as 20 Blue Whales feeding within site, diving every 10 minutes and surfacing almost on the spot” Simon Mustoe, Wildiaries
These rich waters are also home to curiously-named and rarely seen species: Rough-toothed Dolphins and Cuvier’s Beaked Whales. Occasionally guests site a Dugong (a snorkeler on one trip was fortunate to have one swim right past). Whale Sharks and Manta Rays are frequently observed and Hawksbill Turtles are abundant.
On this trip you’ll join local experts, seasoned explorers and scientists, to learn about and observe rare creatures in one of Earth’s wildest places. You’ll visit remote oceanic volcanoes on the edge of a 7,000m deep abyss; discover the rich cultural history of Banda Neira, with its Dutch fortress and legendary spices that launched European economies.
Above all else, this is a chance to relax and have a wonderful holiday in the company of like-minded and adventurous people.
- Full Board on board, Tea, Coffee, Snacks and 1 Soft Drink at lunch and Dinner.
- Transfers from/to nearest airport to/from the vessel
- Accommodation in a double or twin bed cabin with en-suite shower bath, toilet and AC
- 2 snorkel / dives* (optional) and 1 night dive unless weather conditions or long sailing distance do not permit it. First and Last Cruise days are excluded due to safety reasons and flight schedules. These dates we will dive accordingly.
- Land excursions when clearly specified in the cruise planning.
- All entrance fees to National Parks
- Diving tanks and weights for divers and snorkeling gear for non-divers
- Multilingual guides
- Continual wildlife-watching and interpretation, plus zodiac excursions.
- Expert guides on hand 24/7
- Any flights to and from departure city / cities.
- Any pre/post tour accommodation and meals.
- Insurance of any kind.
- Any kind of beverages while in transit.
- Emergency rescue costs (local/international).
- All expenses of personal nature like laundry, telephone bills etc.
- Bank transfer charges (directly paid to your bank).
- Tips for the crew (we recommend per guest/day EUR 15.00 / USD 20.00)
- Harbour fees (payable on board) (€200)
- Dive insurance (from 2013 onwards mandatory for all cruises)
- Souvenirs onboard
- Dive courses (i.e. Nitrox course. Note, OW and AOW will not be provided on this trip)
- Nitrox and gear hire (for divers).